Wendy L. Bowcher is a Professor in the School of Foreign Languages at Sun Yat-sen University, China. She began her career in Australia as an English and History secondary school teacher before taking a position as a multicultural education consultant for the New South Wales Department of Education in Sydney, Australia. In 1989 she left Australia for Japan where she lived and worked for many years, first as an English language teacher, and later as lecturer then Associate Professor of Linguistics at Tokyo Gakugei University, Japan’s flagship teacher-training institution. While in Japan, Wendy also taught various courses for Columbia University Teachers College, MA TESOL program (Tokyo campus). Prior to coming to China she spent two years in Australia as a consultant forensic linguist.
Wendy received her PhD in linguistics from the University of Liverpool, England with a focus on the language of radio sports commentating. Her research interests include multimodal discourse analysis of Japanese and English texts, context in Systemic Functional Linguistic theory, language education, and English intonation. She is editor of Multimodal Texts from Around the World: Cultural and Linguistic Insights (Palgrave 2012), co-editor with Terry D. Royce of New Directions in the Analysis of Multimodal Discourse (Lawrence Erlbaum 2007), co-editor (with Brad Smith) of Systemic Phonology: Recent Studies in English (Equinox 2014), and co-editor with Jennifer Yameng Liang of Society in Language, Language in Society: Essays in Honour of Ruqaiya Hasan (Palgrave 2016).
Wendy was instrumental in the formation of the Japan Association of Systemic Functional Linguistics (JASFL) in 1993 and served for several years as the Vice President of the Association. She also served as the Vice-Chair of the International Systemic Functional Linguistics Association (ISFLA) from 2011 to 2014.
Academic & Professional Qualifications
2001 Ph.D. (Linguistics) University of Liverpool, (UK)
1989 MA (Applied Linguistics – Pass with Merit) University of Sydney, (Australia)
1985 New South Wales Department of Education Teacher’s Certificate, (Australia)
1982 BA (Honours – Class 1 Linguistics) (Combined degree BA (Hons) Dip Ed conferred in 1983)
1981 BA Dip Ed Macquarie University, Sydney, (Australia)
1986 A. Mus. A. Diploma (Australian Music Examinations Board) Pianoforte Performing
Employment History (full-time marked with *)
*2013 (July) – present – Professor,School of Foreign Languages, Deputy Director, Centre for Australian Studies (since 2015), Director, Functional Linguistics Institute (since 2016), Sun Yat-sen University, China.
*2009 (July) – 2013 (June) – Professor, Director of the Applied Linguistics Program, School of Foreign Languages, Sun Yat-sen University, China.
*2007 (April) – 2009 (June) – Consultant Forensic Linguist, Australia.
*1998 (April) – 2007 (March) – Associate Professor, Tokyo Gakugei University, Japan.
2005-2006 – Language Proficiency Evaluator/Assessor for International Graduate School Applicants from various Japanese Government Departments (Japan National Personnel Authority).
2006 – Lecturer, Academic/Research Writing Skills, Chuo University Graduate School of Literature.
2005 Visiting Lecturer, “Intercultural Relations and Communications”, College of Liberal Arts, International Christian University, Mitaka, Japan.
2002-2006 – Ombudsperson (Grievance Counsellor) Teachers College Columbia University (Japan campus)
2001-2004 – Visiting Research Scientist, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, JAPAN (Language-based Intelligent Systems) (Project Leader, Michio Sugeno).
*1995 (April) – 1998 (March) – Lecturer, Tokyo Gakugei University, Japan.
1994-2006 – Adjunct Lecturer, MA (TESOL) Program at Teachers College Columbia University, Tokyo Campus. (Courses Taught:Sociolinguistics and Education, Pedagogical English Grammar, Speaking – Practicum and Methodology).
*1992 (April) – 1995 (March) – Lecturer (Freshman Writing Co-ordinator) English Language Program, Obirin University, Japan.
*1989 (May) – 1992 (March) – Instructor, Intensive English Language Program, (co-ordinator of EAP Geography course 1990-1991) Temple University, Japan.
*1987 (April) – 1989 (February) – Socio-cultural Education Officer (Consultant), Multicultural Education Unit, NSW Department of Education, Special Programs Directorate, Australia.
*1984 (January) – 1987 (April) – Teacher (English and History), Northmead High School, Australia.
*1983 (February) – 1983 (December) – Teacher (English and History), Cambridge Park High School, Australia.
• Analysis of English Spoken Texts
• English Intonation
• Language Education
• Linguistic Theory (in particular the concept of ‘context’ in Systemic Functional Linguistics)
• Multimodal Discourse Analysis (English and Japanese texts)
• Multiliteracies Education
• Intercultural Communication
• Forensic Linguistics
• Cross-cultural translation
Applied Linguistics, Discourse Analysis, Sociolinguistics, Intercultural Communication
Applied Linguistics, Discourse Analysis, Discourse Analysis and Language Teaching, Sociolinguistics, Topics in Systemic Functional Linguistics, Forensic Linguistics
- (forthcoming) Thompson, Geoff, Bowcher, Wendy L. Fontaine, Lise, Liang, and Jennifer Y. (eds.) Handbook of Systemic Functional Linguistics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2016 Bowcher, W.L. & Liang J.Y. (eds.) Society in Language, Language in Society: Essays in Honour of Ruqaiya Hasan. Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Publishers (UK).
- 2014 Bowcher, W.L. & Smith, B.A. (eds.) Systemic Phonology: Recent Studies in English, Equinox Publishers, (UK)
- 2012 Bowcher, W.L. (ed.) Multimodal Texts from Around the World: Cultural and Linguistic Insights. Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Publishers, (UK).
- 2007/2014 Royce, T. & Bowcher, W.L. (eds.) New Directions in the Analysis of Multimodal Discourse. Mahwah, NJ.: Lawrence Erlbaum and Associates (now distributed through Routledge).
- 2013 Bowcher, W.L. (ed.) The International Journal of the Oita Text Forum Volume 1.1
- 1998 Yamaguchi, N. & Bowcher, W.L. (eds.) JASFL Occasional Papers. Volume 1(1). The Journal of the Japan Association of Systemic Functional Linguistics.
- 2011 (Japanese to English) A Stroll Around the Campus: A Guide to the History and Nature of Tokyo Gakugei University and the Surrounding Musashino Area. (武蔵野の自然と歴史キャンパス周辺散策ガイド), (Tokyo: Tokyo Gakugei University Press).
Journal Articles/Book Chapters/Reviews etc. (Peer Reviewed).
2018 Liang, Jennifer Y. and Bowcher, Wendy L. Legitimating sex education through children's picture books in China. Sex Education. (SSCI) DOI10.1080/14681811.2018.1530104
- 2018 Bowcher, Wendy L. The semiotic sense of context vs the material sense of context. Functional Linguistics,5:5 DOI 10.1186/s40554-018-0055-y
- 2018 Bowcher, Wendy L. “Genre” in The Oxford Companion to the English Language, Oxford University Press.
- 2018 Bowcher, Wendy L. “Register” in The Oxford Companion to the English Language, Oxford University Press.
- 2018 Bowcher, Wendy L. “Context” in The Oxford Companion to the English Language, Oxford University Press.
- 2018 Bowcher, Wendy, L., (review) Hybridity in Systemic Functional Linguistics: Grammar, Text and Discursive Context, edited by D. R Miller and P.Bayley Discourse & Society, 29(2): 231-233. (SSCI).
- 2018 Bowcher, Wendy L.,“Future Directions in the Study of Verbal Art”, in R. Wegener, S. Neumann and A. Oesterle(eds)On Verbal Art: Essays in Honour of Ruqaiya Hasan London: Equinox.
- 2018 Bowcher, Wendy L., (review) Systemic Functional Linguistics in the Digital Age.edited by S. Gardner and S. Alsop New Media & Society, 20(1): 426-428 (SSCI).
- 2017 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Field, Tenor and Mode’. In T. Bartlett and G. O’Grady (eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Systemic Functional
- 2016 Liang, Jennifer Y. & BOWCHER, Wendy L. Emilia Djonov and Sumin Zhao (eds), Critical multimodal studies of popular discourse, Routledge, New Media & Society (SSCI).
- 2016 Zhang, Junyu and BOWCHER, Wendy L. ‘“Tracks in the Snowy Forest, Fishing and Hunting as Traditional Ways of Life”: Cultural artefacts made of Heilongjiang fish skin, animal skin, birch bark: Guangdong Provincial Museum, Guangzhou, China, 14 September to 14 November 2014. Visual Communication, 15(4): (SSCI).
- 2016 Sheehan, Athena and BOWCHER, Wendy L. ‘Messages to New Mothers: An Analysis of Breastpump Advertisements’. Maternal & Child Nutrition. (SCI, SCOPUS) DOI:10.1111/mcn.12313
- 2016 Bowcher, W.L. & Liang J.Y. ‘GSP and Multimodal Texts’. In Bowcher, W.L. & Liang, J.Y (eds.) Society in Language, Language in Society: Essays in Honour of Ruqaiya Hasan. Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Publishers (UK).
- 2015 Bowcher, W.L. An Exceptional Career, A Lasting Legacy: Obituary of Professor Emeritus Ruqaiya Hasan (1931-2015). Functions of Language 22(3): 289-296. (SSCI).
- 2015 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Structure and Multimodal Texts’. In Wildfeuer, Janina (ed.) Building Bridges for Multimodal Research. International Perspectives on Theories and Practices of Multimodal Analysis. Bern/New York: Peter Lang.
- International Perspectives on Theories and Practices of Multimodal Analysis. Bern/New York: Peter Lang.
- 2015 Wen S. and Bowcher, W.L. Multimodal Film Analysis by J. Bateman and H.K. Schmidt, Routledge, 2012. Visual Communication 14(4): 525-529, DOI:10.1177/1470357215593863 (SSCI).
- 2015 Xia, J. and Bowcher W.L. An Ideational Intersemiotic Analysis of a Patriotic Reading Text in Primary Yuwen Textbook One. (小学语文教科书中的爱国主义语篇的概念意义构建研究) [in Chinese]. Journal of Jiangxi Normal University, 48(2): 152-155.
- 2015 Zhang, J. and Bowcher, W.L. Spoken and Written Discourse in Online Interactions: A Multimodal Approach (Routledge Studies in Multimodality), by Maria Grazia Sindoni, 2013. Learning, Media and Technology (SSCI).
- 2015 Bowcher, W.L. & Wen, S. Multimodal Epistemologies: Towards an Integrated Framework edited by Arianna Maiorani and Christine Christie (Routledge). Social Semiotics 25(1): 110-115. (SSCI)
- 2014 Bowcher, W.L. & Smith, B. ‘Introduction’. In W. L. Bowcher and B. Smith (eds.) Systemic Phonology: Recent Studies in English, Equinox Press.
- 2014 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Review of Systemic Functional Perspectives of Japanese: Descriptions and Applications edited by E.A. Thomson and W.S. Armour, Equinox, 2013’. Functions of Language 21(2): 259-265. (SSCI).
- 2014 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Issues in Developing Unified Systems for Contextual Field and Mode’ Functions of Language 21(2): 176-209. (SSCI)
- 2014 Liang, J.Y. & Bowcher, W.L. ‘Review of Multimodal Studies: Exploring issues and Domains edited by K.L. O’Halloran and B.A. Smith, Routledge, 2011’. In Australian Journal of Linguistics 34(3): 420-429. DOI 10.1080/07268602.2014.919692 (SSCI)
- 2014 Bowcher, W. L. & Liang, J.Y. ‘Representing Chairman Mao: A Social Semiotic Analysis of two Statues on a ‘Red Tour’’ Visual
- Communication 13(1): 3-30 (SSCI)
- 2013 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Material Action as Choice in Field’. In L. Fontaine, T. Bartlett, and G. O’Grady (eds.) Choice: Critical Considerations in systemic Functional Linguistics, 318-341. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2013 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Review of Semiotic Margins: Meaning in Multimodalities edited by S. Dreyfus, S. Hood, and M. Stenglin’ Australian Journal of Linguistics 33(2): 228-236. (SSCI)
- 2013 Bowcher, W.L., Liang, Jennifer Yameng & Wen Suijun ‘The Multimodal Construal of the Experiential Domain of Recipes in Japanese and Chinese’ Semiotica vol. 197: 233-265. (AHCI)
- 2013 Bowcher, W.L. & Liang, Jennifer Yameng ‘Chinese Tourist Site Entry Tickets: Intersemiotic Complementarity in an Ecosocial Process’ Social Semiotics 23(3): 385-408. DOI 10.1080/10350330.2012.738996 (SSCI)
- 2012 Bowcher, W.L. & Xia Jinping ‘Interpreting Chinese Elementary School Education from a Multiliteracies Perspective’ In J. Knox (ed.) To Boldy Proceed: Papers from the 39th International Systemic Functional Congress. Sydney: The Organising Committee of the 39th International Systemic Functional Congress.
- 2012 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Multimodality in Japanese Anti-war Placards’. In W. Bowcher (ed.) Multimodal Texts from Around the World: Cultural and Linguistic Insights. Basingstoke, New Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan Publishers.
- 2012 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Introduction’. In W. Bowcher (ed.) Multimodal Texts from Around the World: Cultural and Linguistic Insights. Basingstoke, New Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan Publishers.
- 2011 Bowcher, W.L. ‘The History and Theoretical Development of ‘Context of Situation’ in Systemic Functional Linguistics’. In Chang Chenguang & Chen Yumin (eds.) 2011. Context in Systemic Functional Linguistics. Beijing: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press. (previously published in 2010 in Annual Review of Functional Linguistics)
- 2011 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Dealing with Death in an Educational Context’ Journal of Intercultural Education, Vol. 22, No. 3. (149-162)
- 2010 Bowcher, W. L. ‘Assessing the Concerns of the Client: An Analysis of an Extract from a “Reasons for Decision” Document’, in C. Wu, C. Matthiessen, & M. Herke (eds.) Proceedings of ISFC35 “Voices Around the World” Vol. 2. Published by the 35th ISFC Organising Committee, Australia, (46-51).
- 2010 Bowcher, W.L. ‘The History and Theoretical Development of ‘Context of Situation’ in Systemic Functional Linguistics’. Annual Review of Functional Linguistics. Vol. 2. (64-93).
- 2010 Bowcher, W. L. ‘My First Encounters with Systemic Functional Linguistics’. Forum on Systemic Functional Linguistics Studies. Vol. 1. (4-16).
- 2010 Galien, P. & Bowcher, W.L. ‘Using Blogs in ESL/EFL Teaching and Teacher-Training’. Asian EFL Journal, Vol. 42. (4-23).
- 2009 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Trips and Traps with Transcripts’ NSW Law Society Journal. Vol. 47(3):78-80.
- 2009 Galien, P. & Bowcher, W.L. Innovative Uses of Blogs in TESOL. ITBE Illinois TESOL・Bilingual Education) Newsletter. Vol 37 no. 2 (1,3,4)
- 2009 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Transcriptions for Legal Purposes: A Lawyer’s Guide in Plain English’ Online at the Forensic Linguistics Institute. http://www.thetext.co.uk/bowcher-transcription/
- 2007 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Field and Multimodal Texts’, in R. Hasan, C. Matthiessen, & J. Webster (eds.) Continuing Discourse on Language. London: Equinox Publishers, (619-646).
- 2007 Bowcher, W.L. ‘A Multimodal Analysis of Good Guys and Bad Guys in Rugby League Week’, in T. Royce & W. Bowcher (eds.) New Directions in Multimodal Discourse Analysis. Mahwah, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum, (239-274).
- 2006 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Networking the Field of Page-based Instructional Multimodal Texts’, in Masachiyo Amano (ed.) Multimodality: Towards the Most Efficient Communications by Humans. Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference: Studies for the Integrated Text Science. Graduate School of Letters, Nagoya University, (1-16).
- 2006 Marshall, N. & Bowcher, W.L. Review of Systemic Functional Linguistics and Critical Discourse Analysis edited by L. Young and C. Harrison (Continuum, 2004). Discourse & Society AHCI. Vol. 17, No. 3. (265-270).
- 2005 Galien, P. & Bowcher, W.L. ‘Encouraging Reticent Students to Contribute’. ITBE (Illinois TESOL・Bilingual Education) Newsletter. Volume 33. No. 2. (1, 6).
- 2004 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Theme and New in Radio Sports Commentating’, in D. Banks (ed.) Text and Texture: Systemic Functional Viewpoints on the Nature and Structure of Text. Paris: L’Harmattan.
- 2003 Bowcher, W. L. ‘Speaker Contributions in Radio Sports Commentary’. TEXT (now Text & Talk) SSCI. Vol. 23 (4):445-476.
- 2003 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Creating Informational Waves: Theme and New Choices in Play-by-Play Radio Sports Commentary’, in Masa-chiyo Amano (ed.) Creation and Practical Use of Language Texts. Proceedings of the Second International Conference for the Integrated Text Science. 21st Century COE Program, Graduate School of Letters, Nagoya University.
- 2002 Bowcher, W.L. 'Towards a Description of Speaker Contributions to Radio Sports Commentary'. EigakuRonkou (English Studies). Vol. 33, Tokyo Gakugei University, (71-91).
- 1999 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Investigating Institutionalization in Context’, in Mohsen Ghadessy (ed.) Text and Context in Functional Linguistics. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishers, (141-176).
- 1998 Bowcher, W.L. Review of Ways of Saying: Ways of Meaning: Selected Papers of Ruqaiya Hasan, edited by C. Cloran, D. Butt & G. Williams Australian Journal of Linguistics Volume 18, No. 1. (115-122). (SSCI)
- 1998 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Intonation in English: Workshop’. JASFL Occasional Papers. Volume 1, (51-68).
- 1997 Bowcher, W.L. Review of The Functional Analysis of English: A Hallidayan Approach, by Thomas Bloor and Meriel Bloor. JALT Journal. Volume 19, No. 2. (324-327).
- 1996 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Teaching the Narrative Essay: A Genre Approach in the EFL Context’, in P. Storey, V. Berry, D. Bunton, P. Hoare (eds.) Issues in Language in Education, Selected Papers from the International Language in Education Conference, 1995. Department of Curriculum Studies, The University of Hong Kong, (35-56).
- 1996 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Field Trips on Courses in English for Academic Purposes’, in I. Gleadall and Judith Johnson (eds.) Our Share. The Japan Association for Language Teaching, Material Writers National Special Interest Group, (36-40).
- 1995 Bowcher, W.L. ‘Two Models of Register: Halliday and Martin’. Obirin Studies in English Language and Literature. Volume 35, (123-145).
- 1995 Galien, P. & Bowcher, W.L. ‘Towards a Broader View of Authenticity in the Language Classroom: A Discussion Paper’, in D. Nunan, R. Berry and V. Berry (eds.) Bringing About Change in Language Education, Proceedings of the International Language in Education Conference 1994. Department of Curriculum Studies, The University of Hong Kong, (103-119).
- 1994 Bowcher, W.L. ‘EAP Fieldtrips’ The Language Teacher. Vol. 18, No. 1. (38-42).
- 1994 Bowcher, W.L. ‘A Brief Overview of Systemic Functional Linguistics and an Analysis of Text’. Obirin Review of International Studies. Volume 6, (153-177).
- 1991 Royce, T. & Bowcher, W.L. ‘Getting Out of the Classroom: Fieldwork and Excursions in English for Academic Purpose Courses’, in Verner Bickley (ed.) Where from here? Issues relating to the Planning, Managing and Implementation of Language Teaching and Training Programmes in the 90’s. Institute of Language in Education, Hong Kong Education Department, (272-286).
ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIP & RESPONSIBILITIES
• International Systemic Functional Linguistics Association (ISFLA)
2011 ~ 2014 Deputy Chair
2006 ~ 2008 – Recording Secretary
• China Association of Functional Linguistics (CAFL)
• China Association of English-Chinese Discourse Analysis
• Japan Association of Systemic Functional Linguistics (JASFL)
1996 ~ 2005 – Vice President
1996 ~ 1998 – Website creator/manager
1994 ~1995 – Treasurer
1993 Initiated the founding of JASFL
• International Association of Forensic Linguists (IAFL)
• Australian Linguistics Society (ALS)
• Oita Text Forum (OTF) (founding member, executive committee member)
• Australia-China Alumni Association
Editorial Board Member
(journal) Functions of Language (John Benjamins)
(journal) Functional Linguistics (Springer)
(book series) Text and Social Context published by Equinox Publishers, series editors Tom Bartlett, Alison Moore and Geoff Thompson.
(journal) International Journal of the Oita Text Forum, Oita Text Forum, Oita University, Japan